Posted by Dr Fro 7:16 PM
I am very much looking forward to the UT-A&M game being back on Thursday night, where it belongs. We haven't played on Thanksgiving since I was in college, and I miss it. Ain't much better than sitting on the sofa completely stuffed (and a little bit loaded) and watch a football game.
Since we are favored by 33.5 points, I'm not going to evern try to talk Xs and Os. In summary, we are better in every imaginable way (oh, I forgot, not in the halftime-way of judging teams).
So I decided to compile a list of things I like and dislike about Texas Agricultural and Mechanical University.
Green is a like; red is a dislike.
- The Zone - It is a terrible place to watch a game from. The seats are tiny. Only Aggies would go for a marketing campaign that gets them excited to buy seats....in the endzone.
- Robert Earl Keen - If I ever go on the wagon, I will need to burn all of my REK CDs. Is it possible to listen to Bobby Keen without cracking open a cold one?
- List Eaters - Lists are a lot things. They can be ordinal. They can be chronological. They can not be - they should not be - edible. That is just wrong.
- Secretary of Defense Robert Gates - He is a brilliant man and a patriot. He also had the very easy task of doing better than his predecessor. He did so with flying colors. (Technically, he is a "T-shirt fan", but since I don't buy into that, I will let him be an Aggie)
- All fans are myopic. Aggies are blind. They don't describe themselves in superlatives; they describe themselves absolutes. "All Aggies stand for the entire game. We never leave early. We never talk bad about our team. We sell out every game." Whatever. Aggies, like all fanbases, have good and bad fans.
- The red, white and blue thing after 9/11/01 - In a society where everything is over-eulogized, this was a fairly simple but powerful display. I liked it.
- Their propensity for violence when they lose - UT in 95, Tech in 01, the SMU cheerleader, the Rice M.O.B/Corps tussle, the list goes on. I know, I know, the other guy is always to blame. Funny, every well-publicized eruption of violence in the SWC/Big XII of which I know, especially those involving actual representatives of the school, have involved A&M. I guess it is just a crazy coincidence.
- KTL - If for no other reason, he introduced me to the idea that you could dip a quesadilla into queso. I thought this was forbidden by Leviticus, but I was pleased to learn that God gave us cheese to let us know he loves us.
- The very gay painted overalls thing. I don't get it. Somebody explain it to me. We have hot sorority chicks in skimpy orange dresses; they have rednecks with "red ass" painted on their overalls. You pick.
- Aggie jokes - They are good sports about Aggie jokes. They are overly sensitive about actual criticism, but I have never met an Aggie that cared one lick about an Aggie joke.
- That they beat us the past two years.
- That we will beat them this year.
That's it. I hope it is a good, clean game. And I definitely hope the best team wins.